Friday, August 6, 2010

I found the school!

With no maps of Singida town and nothing looking familiar, I poked my way toward where my mind’s map said it was, and bit by bit it came into focus. The Government Girls School long ago disappeared, but in its place is a vocational “college,” more like a secondary school. The buildings remain, including my house, and are generally used in the same way – dormitories, kitchen, dining room, classrooms, staff houses. New buildings have expanded the campus and changed the overall feel of the place, but surprisingly, some things have not changed: the classroom I remember is now blue not pink


My former house now has electricity, a satellite dish, water and a lush garden, including a pawpaw tree outside Mary's bedroom window.


Gardener Laghtness apparently works at my former house


Pink classroom is now blue. Later I will post the 60s photos to compare.


English teacher Aisha and me in front of what looks like the same bulletin board in the office!


School assembly area


Cook still uses wood and doesn't even wear a mask. I choked getting close enough for this photo.

Dining room before set up. Girls used to hold dances here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment